After some research and discovering more of it’s wonders, i’ve decided to carve a giant coconut-shaped shrine to exhibit in my front yard. (Not really, but i’m sure the Coconut King would have appreciated.)
I use it in my hair as a damage repair treatment, on my skin as a moisturizer, on my husband as a healthy massage oil, and occasionally in my baking as a healthier alternative to butter.
You can buy coconut oil at your local organic foods store, and I even found some at Costco that was organic and cold pressed for half the price.
Coconut oil is solid, but starts melting instantly when you rub it in your hands or when heated.
Coconut Oil Benefits and Usages
- Lowers Cholesterol – Dr.Oz even said it! Quoting:”Coconut oil lowers cholesterol by promoting its conversion to pregnenolone, a molecule that is a precursor to many of the hormones our bodies need.” Rich in lauric acid, it is also excellent to lower blood sugar and for your thyroid.
- Boosts Your Immune System – evidence shows that a diet rich in coconut oil helps fights viruses, cancer, Alzheimer’s syndrome, kidney stones, yeast and fungus skin ailments, candida…and so much more. It is even said to be a miracle cure against HIV (see reference)! In other words, it is antimicrobial, antioxidant, antifungal and antibacterial.
- Weight Loss – although coconut oil is almost 90% fat, it is composed of medium-chain triglycerides; much easier to digest than the fat you find in butter. Your liver works off by burning off these healthy fats and converting them into energy instead of a tummy. Reports say that a women eating 2 tbs of coconut oil daily will shed off abdominal fat after 12 weeks.
- Bone Health – coconut increases our body’s ability to absorb important minerals such as calcium and magnesium, being thus an important supplement for women who are prone to osteoporosis. Did you know that coconut oil also stops tooth decay?
- Cooking – Named “The World’s Best Cooking Oil” for a reason. With it’s healthy fat components, replace butter or vegetable oil in your baking with coconut oil. It is also excellent in stir-fry meals, making this the perfect oil for someone on a diet – or who likes to eat healthy!
- Skin Care – It makes an excellent oil-free moisturizer, it’s an acne fighter, shaving cream, it has anti-wrinkling and anti-aging (ie:sagging) properties…what more could your skin need? Use it as your new awesome massage oil.
- Hair Care – Repairs dry, broken, brittle hair, and makes it shine! Lather your hair in coconut oil, and leave in as long as you want before showering. It will leave your hair smelling wonderful as well :) It promotes healthy hair growth, and will give it a protein boost. Massage your scalp regularly with it to get rid of dandruff.
- Aroma-therapeutic – the smell of coconut reminds everyone of a sunny tropical beach. Rub it in on your neck, scalp and temple for stress relief.
- For your baby – use it as a chemical-free moisturizer on baby’s skin after a bath. Coconut oil also makes an excellent diaper rash cream.
***Remember to always buy Organic (preferably cold-pressed) virgin coconut oil!***
Have you tried coconut oil? What do you use it for? Tell me your story in the comments! :)